Earlier this week, we heard around the internet that there was a taping for a Brooklyn episode of the Martha Stewart show. Then, earlier today, the Red Hook Food Vendors posted a link to their Twitter account for the pupusa recipe below, which is featured on Martha Stewart's website. This is the recipe of Reina Soler, one of the Red Hook Food Vendors that can often be found at Brooklyn Flea.
Makes about 15 pupusas
- 1 pound masa
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Curtido, for serving
- Salsa de Tomate, for serving
- In a large bowl, mix together masa and salt. Add water, a little bit at a time, until a soft, pliable, nonsticky dough is formed.
- Using damp hands, form dough into 2 1/2-inch balls. Flatten each ball into a 4-inch patty and place 1/4 cup cheese in the center of each. Fold sides of patties over cheese to enclose and reshape into a ball. Flatten each ball into another 4-inch patty.
- Preheat a griddle and lightly coat with oil. Place patties on skillet and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately with curtido and salsa.