Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Degraw St. Mural


On my many walks through this neighborhood, i've often passed by the above mural on Degraw St. between Columbia and Van Brunt in not only admiration, but also mystery. I've wondered, who lives in this building - an artist, an art collective, someone who decided to pay for an artist to paint a huge mural? Short of knocking on the door or asking random bypassers, I just assumed I wouldn't be able to figure it out.

Well, thank God for the internet. While stumbling around random blogs, I found out some info about the mural on Fading Ad Blog and a link to the artists website.

Apparently, the artist is Damon Ginandes, who is a Brooklyn based artist with other large scale, 3 dimensional and public mural projects in the works, and this mural was commissioned by the buildings' landlord. Be sure to keep an eye out for this piece and more!

No comments: