Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Special Performance: Job in Red Hook - Tue, Dec 17th at 6pm

A Special Performance of the Book of Job (Job in Red Hook) will commemorate the year anniversary of Hurricane Sandy at the Friends of Firefighters (199 Van Brunt St Brooklyn, NY) next Tuesday, Dec 17th at 6pm. Tickets are free, but are seats are limited and must be reserved by emailing info@friendsoffirefighters.org.

More details at: https://www.facebook.com/TheaterOfWar

Saturday, December 7, 2013

7th Annual Columbia Waterfront District Tree Lighting

Show the love to our fantastic neighborhood by......... eating free food, dancing to awesome music, and winning fun prizes! 

December 13, 6pm-7:30pm, marks the Columbia Waterfront Tree Lighting Party, hosted at the Human Compass Garden by Carroll Gardens Association Inc. 

There will be yummy food provided by outstanding and generous restaurants including Mazzat, Jake's BBQ and Brooklyn Southern, toe-tapping fodder by the Dan Kurfist Trio, and, of course, a beautiful Christmas tree. Into fire trucks? Well, the FDNY local 202 will be escorting none other than Mr. Santa himself to the party, complete with surprises for the little ones.

Friday, December 6, 2013

Park Bagels: Six Months Out and Already a Neighborhood Staple

When Stefano Mannino came to Red Hook last winter to size up some for-sale kitchen equipment offered by the then going-out-of-business South Brooklyn Bagel Cafe at 75 Hamilton Avenue, he had no idea he was heading towards the resting place of his third Park Bagels branch. As soon as he saw the
incredible location and space left by the previous business, however, he signed on the dotted line and started to build.

And lucky for us: a little over six months after their opening day, the cafe is doing a roaring trade in fresh, made-to-order breakfast and lunch fare, provided by some of the friendliest people in the City.

The bagel cafe has become a go-to spot for the longshoreman who work the nearby Red Hook cargo docks (the only operational dock left in Brooklyn--all the rest are on the New Jersey side of the Hudson), locals and commuters on their way to and from work, moms, dads, caretakers and kids, as well as those of us who simply cannot resist a good bagel, sandwich or cup of coffee.
Stefano Mannino
Speaking of coffee, if you have already been here and you think their brew is something to rave about, you’re not the only one. “99% of people say our coffee is amazing”, says Stefano Mannino, owner, with the remaining 1% coming in on the “too strong” side of the tracks. Their sourcing team went through over 100 different brands before finding the perfect one, and have settled on a selection that will simply melt your soul. An easygoing $1.25 (plus tax = about $1.36) gets you a cup of regular coffee, and $2.00 will place a delicious, nutty, ka-powwwerlicious espresso into your hands.

All three Park Bagels locations were opened and are run by Mannino, with the help of his two brothers, Vinny and Frankie. Mannino opened his first cafe in 2004 on 86th Street in Brooklyn, and last May he cut the tape on a Staten Island location just a few steps from the Saint George Ferry Terminal.

Vinny Mannino

The Red Hook menu is still being finalized as they continue to take into account all the suggestions and requests being made by patrons, so keep an eye out for exciting new items. Recently added: french toast. They offer tofu cream cheese and soy milk for the dairy-averted, and are currently working on a couple of vegan dishes as well.

Plans are under way to revamp the two already well-used seating areas, and are projected to be ready for spring 2014. The aim, says Mannino, is to make the cafe and garden “more of a destination” with greenery, an inviting, open design, twinkling lights, and easy stroller access. Those with kids, take note!

Park Bagels
75 Hamilton Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11231

M-F 6am-5pm
Sat 7am-3pm
Sun Closed

Monday, December 2, 2013

Donate a Coat to a Family in Need

Red Hook Playgroup & Jalopy are co-organizing a coat drive! The drive is running now through December 21st. People can bring their clean & gently used coats (child or adult) to Jalopy at 315 Columbia Street during their hours of operation (noon to midnight). The coats will benefit Brooklyn Families in need this winter.